January 07, 2018
HCA Healthcare’s partnership with Hillwood High School began about eight years ago. With the support of Alignment Nashville, the Nashville Chamber of Commerce, and the PENCIL Foundation, HCA became a business partner of the Academy of Health Sciences at Hillwood.
As a business partner, HCA’s role is to Assist, Advise, and Advocate. HCA does this in multiple ways, including leadership of the Academy Advisory Board, Health and Public Service Partnership Council, and CEO Champions.
HCA’s partnership with Hillwood has grown and developed over the years, including a few of the following highlights.
- Renovation of The HCA/TriStar Health Science Lab to help students not only study and practice in a relevant environment, but also attain certifications to earn jobs as they receive their diplomas and pursue higher education. This lab equips teachers to prepare students for Emergency Medical Responder and Certified Clinical Medical Assistant certifications.
- Annual long-term volunteer opportunities in clinical departments for seniors in the Health Sciences Academy Clinical Experience Course.
- Construction of a recycled greenhouse and outdoor learning space on Hillwood’s campus.
- Annual career fairs and 21st century skill classes to allow students to explore careers and prepare for success.
- Sponsorship of Hillwood HOSA to compete in national competitions.
The goal of HCA’s partnership with the Hillwood Health Sciences Academy is to help students achieve academically as well as gain real-world healthcare skills and experiences to ultimately make Nashville a stronger, healthier community.