Our model is serve. lead. support. Above all else, HCA Healthcare is committed to the care and improvement of human life. Caring for patients is only part of what we do.
As the philanthropic arm of HCA Healthcare, the mission of the HCA Healthcare Foundation is to promote health and well being, support childhood and youth development and foster the arts in the communities we serve. In partnership with our colleagues, we seek to accomplish this mission by providing leadership, service and financial support to effective nonprofit organizations working individually and collectively.
Organizations with a well-defined sense of purpose, a demonstrated commitment to maximizing available resources, and a history of delivering quality services and meeting objectives are highly encouraged to apply.
While providing grants is only a part of our service, the HCA Healthcare Foundation has contributed $214 million in grants to over 400 organizations and agencies in Middle Tennessee since 1997.
Our focus areas
Health and well being
Childhood and youth development
Our geography of giving
The HCA Healthcare Foundation makes charitable contributions to 501(c)3 organizations in Middle Tennessee. All requests outside of Middle Tennessee should be submitted to the nearest HCA Healthcare facility or division office. A map of HCA Healthcare facilities may be accessed on HCAHealthcare.com
Grant application deadlines
Grants received by the following deadlines will be reviewed at the corresponding board meetings:
- December 13, 2019 (February 2020 Board Meeting)
- March 13, 2020 (May 2020 Board Meeting)
- June 12, 2020 (August 2020 Board Meeting)
- September 11, 2020 (November 2020 Board Meeting)
- December 11, 2020 (February 2021 Board Meeting)
Health and well being
Our highest priority is serving as a leading foundation for organizations that promote health and well being. Programs that promote basic health and human needs such as healthcare, housing and food, as well as higher levels of mental and physical wellness can be supported through HCA Healthcare grants.
Childhood and youth development
Our second priority is supporting organizations engaged in promoting positive growth and development in children and youth. We award grants intended to promote success in school, character development, responsibility, service and leadership.
Finally, the HCA Healthcare Foundation will support arts organizations engaged in community outreach and educational programs that uniquely serve children and adults in the community.
- Select Existing Application. Sign in with your email and password
- The page is titled Applications; click on the Requirements Link (top left on the page) which will take you to your online requirement
- Note that your anticipated outcomes are populated into the form
- Fill out the “actual” portion and comments if applicable.
- The form works the same as the online grant application as you must save your work each time.
- NOTE: If you are not the individual that submitted grant, please contact Foundation staff to transfer access.
New applicants are asked to complete a preliminary one- to two-page letter of inquiry to the Foundation to ensure that the proposed project, organization, and goals align with HCA Healthcare Foundation priorities. Please describe the proposed project, its goals and objectives, and the approximate level of funding required. To be considered for a grant, please allow sufficient time (approximately 2 weeks) for Foundation staff to review and follow up with the applicant organization.
Recommendations for foundation funding include consideration of the following criteria:
- Relationship to HCA Healthcare's Mission/Strategy
- Critical Need in Our Community
- History of Relationship with the Organization (Board Service/Significant Year-Round Volunteer Involvement)
- Measurable Outcomes
Grant recommendations are based upon organization’s budget.
Organizations must have a full and updated GivingMatters.com profile to be considered for funding. For more information please go to GivingMatters.com.
Geography of giving
The Foundation makes charitable contributions to tax-exempt 501(c) 3 organizations as defined by the Internal Revenue Service. Because the Foundation focuses its giving in Middle Tennessee, all requests outside of the Nashville area should be submitted to the closest HCA Healthcare facility location or division office. A map of HCA Healthcare facilities may be accessed on HCAHealthcare.com.
The Foundation does not consider requests for:
- individuals or their projects
- private foundations
- political activities
- advertising or sponsorships of events
- social events or similar fund-raising activities
As a matter of policy, the Foundation does not ordinarily support:
- organizations in their first three years of operation
- organizations involved in research, sports, environmental, wildlife, civic and international affairs
- churches or schools (will support broad faith-based initiatives consistent with our mission and guidelines)
Operational and program requests are reviewed at all quarterly board meetings.
Levels of funding:
- General Operational/Program grants range from $2,500-$25,000.
- Basic Need & Primary Health grants range from $25,000-$50,000.
- Special Project grants are determined on a case by case basis.
Capital Grant Requests Will be accepted on an exception basis. Please contact Foundation staff for more information.
Organizations that receive funding greater than $5,000 will be asked to submit outcome through online semi-annual and final progress reports.
The purpose of this evaluation strategy is to provide a consistent and comprehensive framework of accountability and continuous quality improvement for successful agencies and programs.
Grants are classified by type of grant as shown below:
- General Operational: Organization will report on attainment of goals and objectives of strategic plan.
- Program: Organization will briefly summarize program and use logic model to identify and report on short and long term results.
- Capital: Organization will identify and report on capital project budget and timeline.
To submit outcomes, select Existing Application. Sign in with your email and password. The page is titled Applications; click on the Requirements Link (top left on the page) which will take you to your online requirement. Note that your anticipated outcomes are populated into the form. Fill out the “actual” portion and comments, if applicable. The form works the same as the online grant application as you must save your work each time. NOTE: If you are not the individual that submitted grant, please contact Foundation staff to transfer access.
I’m a new applicant to The HCA Healthcare Foundation. What should I do to start a grant application?
- Read and follow our Grant Process.
What size grants are reasonably likely?
- Grants are awarded based on the type of grant request, operational, program, or capital, and on the size of the operating budget of applicant organizations.
What kinds of organizations does The HCA Healthcare Foundation support?
- The HCA Healthcare Foundation supports organizations related to the following focus areas: health and wellbeing, childhood and youth development, and the arts.
How can I request an HCA Healthcare employee as a board member?
- To request an HCA-affiliated board member, fill out and submit the form found in our Board Leadership page.
How does The HCA Healthcare Foundation select grant recipients?
- The Board of Directors makes its decisions based on recommendations by The HCA Healthcare Foundation staff.